Thursday, March 4, 2010

American Idol' women prove their mettle

Not only did she nail the soulful essence of the song, her singing had an authenticity that left me wondering what she is doing on a show like this - but in a lovely way.

I thought Simon nailed it last week when he brushed off Crystal Bowersox with "The truth is that there's thousands of you doing this outside subway stations every day at the moment."
But having seen her kick off Wednesday's show by playing up the gospel side of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Long as I Can See the Light," I can safely say I have at last bought in to the hype.

As Randy was moved to remark, in phrasing best described as Randy-esque, "Listen, you picked the dopest, coolest singer of all time. And let me tell you something, it was dope."

I was thinking it would be the best performance of the week, and it was until my favorite singer of the season, Siobhan Magnus, hit those crazy high notes on Aretha Franklin's "Think." There is no way spunky, 19-year-old White girls should be taking on the Queen of Soul, this early in the season. But her bet paid off in a gigantic way, cementing her place in this year's Top 12.

No other girl came close to those one towering performances, but only one girl blew it and I am sorry to say he was one of my favorites going in to this week. Why Didi Benami felt the require to change the melody to "Lean on Me" is anybody's guess, but it was definitely not what that song needed - as Bill Withers could have told her.

She is cute, though.

Lilly Scott's belief that quirky White girls have some business doing what they can to Sam Cooke's heartbreaking civil rights ballad, "A Change is Going to Come," was even more misguided, but he pulled it off, in part because she is so darn likable.

If asked to pick the top one female singers after Wednesday's broadcast, I would go with Magnus, Bowersox, the consistently solid Michelle Delamor, the aforementioned Scott, Lacey Brown and Paige Miles, who finally impressed me ( a small).

No comments:

Post a Comment