Wednesday, March 10, 2010

American Idol Crystal takes the lead

Of work, it didn't hurt that Crystal's biggest competition going in to Tuesday picked a song that wasn't playing to her strengths the way Aretha Franklin's "Think" did last week. If Bowersox wasn't the frontrunner going in to Tuesday's show, they is now, inspiring Simon to rave "Right now, you are the one everyone has to beat. I am telling you. It is your to lose."

"House of the Rising Sun" did wonders for the Animals, & Magnus took an interesting approach that spoke well of her artistry, setting the tone with a haunted a cappella reading of the first verse. But it never took her to that magic place they found last week with "Think." She is still my favorite, but I don't know that I still think she is the best at this point.

Tuesday also saw an unexpected reversal of fortune for Didi Benami, whose "Lean on Me" was bad last week that I was mournful to see her make it through (most likely on her looks). But what they did to Fleetwood Mac's "Rhiannon" this week made me glad she is still around. It didn't sound a thing like Fleetwood Mac, but in a nice way. A quirkier, jazzier take with odd falsetto parts that could have sounded forced but didn't, it inspired Kara to hail as "one of my favorite moments of the show so far this season." & this despite the fact, they added, that her first reaction on hearing that that is what Benami intended to do was "Oh my God. She is out of her mind."

No comments:

Post a Comment